Monday 29 September 2014

Dissertation Research Reading List

 In preparation for the research part of the dissertation I have prepared a list of books that I want to read and use in the dissertation. I plan to update the list as the time progresses.
  1. “Practical Art of Motion Picture Sound” by David Yewdall
  2. “Sound for Film and Television” by Tomlinson Holman
  3. “The Foley Grail” by Vanessa Ament
  4. “Dialogue Editing for Motion Pictures” by John Purcell
  5. “Analyzing Popular Music” by David Machin
  6. “Film Sound” by Elisabeth Weis and John Belton 
  7.  “Audio-vision” by Michel Chion
  8. “Sound Design” by David Sonnenschein 
  9.  “The Sound Hand Book” by Tim Crook 
  10. “The Soundscape” by R. Murray Schafer
  11. “The Sound Effects Bible” by Ric Viers
  12. “Sound Theory Sound Practice” by Rick Altman
  13. “Sounscape” by Larry Sider, Diane Freeman and Jerry Sider
  14. “Sound for Digital Video” by Tomlinson Holman

 

I have already read “Audio-vision” and “Analysing Popular Music” as part of last year’s Audio Production Methods module. Also, “Sound Design” and “The Sound Effects Bible” were the two books that I have read two years ago during my HND years, although it could be good to refresh my memory and look into them again.

 I have decided that the next book, and first one this semester, is going to be “Practical Art of Motion Picture Sound” by David Yewdall. I have seen the reviews for this book and they all seem to praise it. It’s quite lengthy at almost 700 pages, but it seems very interesting so I am going to jump in eagerly.

No comments:

Post a Comment