Thursday 16 October 2014

Brainstorming and some more new ideas



 Tonight I had a little brainstorming session. I was browsing through “The Foley Grail” by Vanessa Ament, partly because I have a foley recording session for the ‘Jam’ coming up next week, but also I thought of getting some new ideas for the dissertation topic. In this book I came across a very cleverly named chapter, entitled ‘Replacing Reality’. This got me thinking back to last year’s film analysis and watching documentaries and interviews with different sound designers, like Ben Burtt for example, on how they approached sound in their films. As we know, sound we hear in films is not the sound that is recorded on the set while the movie is shot. The sound we hear in films is recorded separately on foley stages or on location and then carefully designed in the post-production. So, I came up with an idea of recording a gunshot (hopefully with the help of the military or police) and then compare it to a gunshot heard in movies and analyse the differences. It would be a cool project to do if I could get to work and record inside of the military base, even just for that photo opportunity!

No comments:

Post a Comment