Friday 3 October 2014

Meeting with Kenny - Modality, Horror and foley fun



 Today, I had a meeting with Kenny McAlpine, the programme leader, about the ideas that I had for the dissertation. I ran all my ideas through him to get some feedback. The two ideas presented were as follows:


  • Modality in film soundtracks
  • Horror Sound Effects – how it’s the sound that makes horror really scary.


 In general, the tutor seemed to like both ideas, although he didn’t seem particularly fond of some of my ideas behind those projects. For example the ‘horror’ project – I thought it would be cool to lock myself in the studio for a couple days and just have pure fun recording smashing vegetables and fruits with a baseball bat. For some reason, Kenny didn’t like that explanation and I can kind of see why. He said that “having fun” in the studio is not a valid rationale for an academic Honours Project, and although both ideas seemed valid, I needed to think a lot harder on the justification. To be honest, I had even harder time coming up with a rationale to the ‘Modality in film sound’ idea – I just can’t think of why it could be a viable academic research.
So, at the moment it seems it is back to the drawing board for me. I need to think harder on this and especially on the rationale part (it ain’t easy...)

No comments:

Post a Comment