Wednesday 1 October 2014

New idea - What makes Horror’s scary and foley fun (mostly foley fun though!)



 Tonight I had a totally new idea that I think could possibly work as a dissertation topic. Basically, I was thinking about last year and what I enjoyed the most about it. Apart from the Audio Production Methods module and doing film soundtrack analysis, I have really enjoyed recording foley and sounds for the “Sword of Truth” Sound Library as part of the Sound Effects and Spatialization module. I have recently had a conversation with a friend about horror movies (of which I’m not a particular fan) and we talked about how sound is what really makes horror movies ‘scary’. Without the sound, the gory pictures lose a lot of its impact. This is exactly what Chion explains in the first few pages of the first chapter of his “Audio-vision”. I thought it would be particularly cool and interesting to use this idea as an excuse to record tonnes of vegetable abuse in the studio, which was loads of fun last year! (pics below). I am having a meeting with course leader Kenny McAlpine on Friday, so I will be able to get some feedback on my ideas so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment